I haven’t always been super enthused by the concept of avocado pasta (isn’t that what pesto is for?) but I decided to give it a try after seeing so many glorious Instagram renditions of the dish. As much as I absolutely love a good pesto (and more importantly, Parmesan) it’s always handy to have a FODMAP friendlier, vegan, gluten-free version of a dish up your sleeve. You know, for your friend with the world’s most unique dietary restrictions. Aka for me. So, today’s recipe is for this super simple vegan, gluten-free avocado pasta.
Avocado and pasta seem like two things that shouldn’t mix. Normally, I’d be inclined to agree. However, when it comes to adding a creaminess to a quick vegan dish, avocado cannot be beaten. They’e easy to find, not a niche ‘health food’ and gracefully take on any flavour assigned to them.
- Because we’re using avocado, this dish is nut free, dairy free and vegan. I recommend using a just ripe avocado for the perfect balance of creaminess and flavour.
- In terms of your herb choices, I’ll leave that up to you. Any fresh herbs that pair well together are suitable for this dish. You could use mint and parsley, parsley and dill, parsley and basil – whatever you have and enjoy. You could also use two bunches of the same herb, or one bunch of herbs and a big handful of rocket or spinach.
- I haven’t tried it, although I daresay this sauce would work well on zucchini noodles if you’re unable to eat grains.
FODMAP notes for this vegan gluten free avocado pasta
It’s important to note, for my FODMAP friends, that avocado has high amounts of the polyol sorbitol. Monash considers them FODMAP friendly at 1/8th of an avocado, so proceed with caution if you find avocado triggers you. A lot of vegan alternatives tend to be high in FODMAPS, and I think avocado is the best of the bunch. Girls gotta eat, you know.
That said, if you are particularly concerned, know that I have some vegan gluten-free avocado pasta alternatives for you. Without further ado:
- Vegan, FODMAP friendly pasta and meatballs
- Bolognese that’s vegan and FODMAP friendly
- Vegan, FODMAP friendly Lasagne
- Vegan mac and Cheese!
Vegan gluten free avocado pasta
- 1 large bunch of basil LARGE – get two small if unsure
- 1 large bunch dill repeat this same step above with the dill
- 1-2 avocados ripe but not brown kinda ripe (I mean they can be but it won’t look as pretty)
- Juice of 2 large lemons plus zest to taste
- Good pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons water if needed
- 500 g gluten free pasta of your choosing
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil with GENEROUS salt. Once boiling, add the pasta and cook as per the packet instructions.
- Once the pasta is nearly cooked, place all the ingredients for the pasta sauce in your food processor, and blend until thoroughly combined and smooth, adding a little bit of water if necessary.
- Drain the pasta, reserving a little cooking liquid, and then pour the avocado herb sauce over the top. Finish with some lemon zest, lemon juice, and a some extra herbs, if you’re feeling fancy.
Avocados aren’t fodmap friendly are they?
Hi Palomie! 1/4 of an avo is considered FODMAP friendly so you can use the lesser amount of avo if you have trouble with sorbitol 🙂