FODMAP friendly tomato ketchup, or tomato sauce as we call it in Australia, is very important to me. My mum used to (/still does) watch on in horror as I drenched practically any food reasonable in tomato sauce. Vegetables, fish, even scrambled eggs – nothing was/is sacred. To her, it was an offense, to me, it was a way to make something delicious even more delicious.
I don’t actively keep tomato sauce in the house these days, for a number of reasons. Firstly, I could make up a day’s caloric intake by drenching things with the stuff. Secondly, store bought tomato sauce has some questionable, and FODMAP unfriendly ingredients. Let’s not get stuck into the sugar content. So, while most tomato sauce at the supermarket contains a host of unfriendly ingredients, this version is completely FODMAP friendly. It’s also ridiculously, sinfully easy to make, vegan, and made from mostly simple, household ingredients.
This FODMAP friendly tomato sauce is the perfect accompaniment to the vegetarian, gluten free sausage rolls. Along with practically everything else, because as I mentioned, tomato sauce tastes good on anything. It’s far more acceptable and virtuous to drown your food in a FODMAP friendly tomato sauce when it’s homemade, no?
FODMAP FRIENDLY TOMATO SAUCE/KETCHUP
- 500 g tomatoes chopped
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar you could probably also use regular plain vinegar, if that's what you have
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon gluten free kecap manis you can buy this from the supermarket, or there is a recipe in my cookbook
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground clove
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Add the tomatoes, apple cider vinegar and brown sugar to a medium saucepan, and stir to combine. Cook over a medium heat for around 10 minutes, or until the tomatoes have lost their form, and are the consistency of an unblended passata.
- Once they are, add the kecap manis, spices and tomato paste, and stir until combined and fragrant.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely (no blender accidents on my watch, thanks) before processing in a high speed blender until completely smooth. Store in an airtight container and use within a week.