Chickpea waffles. In case you hadn’t guessed, this is a recipe that was created in seemingly another life – back when legumes didn’t bother me, and I didn’t live and breathe by the FODMAP acronym. Interestingly, I got a lot of requests on Instagram for this recipe when I changed my website over, so here you go. Please enjoy the chickpeas and the chickpea waffles for those of us who can no longer do so.
Gluten free cheesy chickpea waffles
FOR THE CHICKPEA WAFFLES:
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup milk of choice I used cow
- 40 g freshly grated parmesan on the thick side of the grater (we want cheese chunks)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 200 g mushrooms quartered
- handful of basil roughly torn
- 30 g butter 50g tastes better but after testing this a few times I thought I better ease up
- 2 fried eggs for topping
- chilli and wilted spinach for topping
- In a large bowl, mix together your chickpea and buckwheat flours, and sea salt. Add the milk, stirring to combine, followed by the egg, olive oil and parmesan. Once you have a nice batter (the only lumps should be those of parmesan) add the baking soda and apple cider vinegar, and stir to combine. Set aside.
- On a medium heat, melt your butter and add the mushrooms. Pop a lid on them and allow them to cook for 5-10 minutes, checking them every so often. The aim of the lid is the make them squidgy - I personally despise mushrooms that are squeaky and dry when you bite into them. UGH.
- Once your mushrooms are moist (Sorry most suitable word in this instance) add the basil, and pop the lid back on for another five or so minutes.
- Time to turn your waffle maker on! Fear not if you do not have one, these do work particularly nicely as pancakes as well. If you are making pancakes, preheat your pan to a medium heat and spray with some olive oil.
- While your waffles are cooking, fry 2 eggs, sunny side up, in some coconut oil. Keep your mushrooms warm, as they are nearly ready to be eaten.
- Once the waffles/pancakes are ready, assemble yo food. Waffles, topped with mushrooms, topped with fried eggs, topped with a bitta chilli and some wilted spinach. Add some extra parmesan or goats cheese if you are feeling sassy/have gone for a run beforehand/haven't been for a run and just enjoy cheese.