VEGETARIAN CAESAR SALAD WITH SALT AND PEPPER TOFU CROUTONS
FODMAP friendly Gluten free, grain free, vegan adaptable, nut free
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1 cup mayo I use vegan because I prefer it
- 50 g freshly and finely grated vegetarian parmesan yes, it’s a thing plus extra to finish
- 1 1/2 – 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce see notes
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped capers
- 1 teaspoon caper brine
- lots and lots of freshly cracked pepper
FOR THE SALT AND PEPPER TOFU:
- 450 g firm tofu whatever size pack you have is fine, may as well use it all drained and gently squeezed to remove excess liquid
- 2 tablespoons gluten free cornflour
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- Lots of freshly cracked pepper
TO FINISH THE SALAD:
- 1 soft boiled egg per person
- 2 large heads of cos lettuce or 1 head of radicchio
- Some rocket arugula optional
- Finely chopped continental parsley optional
- Fresh gratings of extra parmesan
TO MAKE THE SALT AND PEPPER TOFU:
In a large bowl, combine the cornflour, salt and pepper. Into the bowl, tear the tofu into bite sized crouton style chunks. Tearing it as opposed to cutting it gives it nice craggy edges that become crispy. You can do half torn and half cut if you prefer. Toss with your hands to thoroughly coat.
Heat a large heavy bottomed pan or skillet with some plain flavoured oil over a medium- high heat(vegetable, canola or peanut are good, except peanut adds nuts to the mix.)
Once the pan is hot, add the tofu in batches, cooking on all sides and until golden brown. Remove from the pan onto a plate once cooked and repeat until all the tofu is done.
Depending on the brand you’ve chosen, you might have some crumbly tofu bits leftover. Cook them at the end – they add delicious little chunks of crunchiness.
TO ASSEMBLE THE SALAD:
Arrange all the greens on a plate and top with the tofu croutons, any herbs you’re using and the dressing. You can toss to coat, if that’s your thing. Finish with the soft boiled eggs, sliced in half, some extra slices of Parmesan, extra herbs (optional) a crack of fresh black pepper and some sea salt flakes. Keeps well in the fridge for a few days.