Banana, tamarind and lime chutney
Gluten free, vegan, FODMAP friendly
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 1 tbsp plain tasting oil (vegetable or peanut)
- 4 tbsp white rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 medium fennel bulb, sliced finely
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 medium just ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 tbsp tamarind paste
- Juice of 1 large lime
- Sea salt, to taste (this just deepens the flavours)
- 1-2 tbsp water, optional (if you want it thinner)
Heat the oil, vinegar and brown sugar over a medium heat. Once warmed, add the fennel, and allow to cook until the mixture begins to caramelise and the fennel is cooked. If the mixture isn't caramelising, raise the heat a little.
Add the bananas, tamarind paste and lime juice, stirring well to combine. Turn the heat to low, and allow the mixture to cook for 5-10 minutes. Add salt and water as you see fit. Remember, the chutney is sweet, but a pinch of salt will help bring out the flavours already in the chutney.
Store in an airtight container or sterilised jar and use within 1 or 2 weeks.