Tomato, burrata and basil Caprese salad with radicchio, toasted pine nuts, honey and truffle oil.
Gluten free, vegetarian, FODMAP friendly
For the salad:
- 500g good quality tomatoes (I like to use a combination of cherry and large ones)
- 1-2 balls of good quality burrata
- 1 bunch fragrant basil
- 1 large handful radicchio leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, freshly toasted
To dress the salad:
- good quality olive oil, to taste
- good quality local honey, to taste
- good quality truffle oil, to taste
- good quality balsamic vinegar, to taste
- good quality flaky sea salt, to taste
Chop the tomatoes in a way that suits you. I like to have different shapes and sizes for texture and visual interest, but make sure they are mostly bite sized.
Add all the ingredients for the salad (except the burrata and half of the pine nuts) to a large mixing bowl. Starting with the olive or truffle (or both) oil, add just enough to nicely coat and flavour the salad. Follow with the flaky sea salt, and then the honey and balsamic. Note that you can use whatever suits you - beyond olive oil and salt, you can pick and choose. See the introduction if you need a smidge more info.
Transfer the salad to a serving plate, and finish with the remaining pine nuts, any leftover basil leaves, and potentially a crack of pepper. Place the burrata ball (or balls) where you see fit, and gently slice them down the middle as you are serving the salad. Maximum drama with minimum fuss.