Gluten free, grain free, FODMAP friendly, vegan, refined sugar free
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 6 cookies
- 1 tablespoon cacao or cocoa
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh warm espresso or hot water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or rice malt syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 100 g just over 1/3 cup natural roasted peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- sprinkle of sea salt flakes
- 50-100 g chocolate, roughly chopped vegan and refined sugar free if you need it to be
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 356 degrees Fahrenheit.
Mix together the cacao and boiling water in a small bowl, until a paste forms. There should be no cacao chunks. This is called ‘blooming’ the cacao, and helps it taste extra chocolate-y.
Add the remaining ingredients and continue to mix very vigorously until a batter has formed. Place the mixture into the freezer for 10 minutes if they don’t set.
Lightly oil your hands, and roll the dough into six even balls. Gently press them down with your palm, if you like. Cook for 10 minutes, and then bang the pan on the oven rack to give them lovely crinkles.
You can cook for another 5 minutes, or if you like very chewy cookies, remove them from the oven. Allow them to cool completely before moving.
Store the leftover cookies in an airtight container in the fridge to help keep them crunchy and firm.