SHAVED CARROT SALAD WITH GOAT’S CHEESE, MINT, TOASTED PINE NUTS AND AN ORANGE BLOSSOM, LEMON AND CAMPARI DRESSING
Gluten free, vegetarian, FODMAP friendly
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time25 mins
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice you could also use lime
- 4 tablespoons orange blossom water see notes on where to purchase
- 1 tablespoon Campari optional, see notes
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar see notes on substitutions
FOR THE SALAD:
- 500 g carrots the best quality you can afford
- Half a bunch of mint
- 1 packet of goats cheese you probably won’t use all of it
- Micro herbs optional
- Handful of toasted pine nuts optional
Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a small saucepan, and place over a low-medium heat. Cook for 5-10 minutes until a syrup forms. Set aside to cool.
Use a mandoline to finely shave the carrots. I like to do a combination of slices to add an interesting texture. You can use a knife, but it might want to make you gouge your own eyes out. I highly recommend using a mandoline. I’ve linked the one I use above.
Place the dressing and carrots in a large bowl, and use your hands to massage the dressing into the carrots. If you like a tart salad or a soft carrot, add an extra squeeze of lemon juice. Add a bit of mint, chopped.
To assemble, arrange the carrots on a plate, and top with the goats cheese, extra mint, pine nuts and micro herbs (if you’re using them.) Season well with sea salt flakes and freshly cracked pepper. Serve immediately.