Warning: file_get_contents(http://www.linkedin.com/countserv/count/share?url=https://georgeats.com/recipes/refined-sugar-free-vegan-chocolate-ganache/&format=json): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found in /home/georgeat/public_html/wp/wp-content/plugins/tk-social-share/tk-social-counter.php on line 145
Icing is undoubtedly my favourite part of a cake. It is, ironically for me, the opposite of the icing on the cake – it is the cake. As a result, my dilemma is this: I want to eat icing, but I have waistline, dietary, and ethical concerns about eating large quantities of butter and sugar. The solution? A refined sugar free vegan chocolate ganache made from, wait for it – pumpkin puree.
I’ve seen a lot of things I can’t or would prefer not to eat in vegan icing: dates (high fructose) vegan butter (often made from palm oil so I’d PREFER to avoid using too much of it if possible) and applesauce (hey again fructose) among other things.
So, before you click away – don’t! Come back! I swear this pumpkin version is legit. This refined sugar free vegan chocolate ganache has been tested and wholehearted approved by a friend who once ate TWO blocks of Cadbury chocolate in one sitting. She certainly knows her chocolate.
The pumpkin acts as a thickener and sweetener, giving the icing the volume that butter generally would. The icing is made creamy and dairy like through the use of cacao butter and tahini. It uses both the sweetness of the pumpkin and refined sugar free sweeteners for a sugar hit.
The icing is refined sugar free, gluten free, vegan, FODMAP friendly and whipped up in five minutes. No need to inhale a cloud of icing sugar as you beat your icing – you can throw all the ingredients into your blender, all in one go. TOO DAMN EASY.
Need ideas as to where this devilishly good ganache should be spread? How about the vegan pumpkin mudcake, the spiced pumpkin loaf, or even the zucchini chocolate sheet cake! Or on toast, because #refinedsugarfree #pumpkin etc.
REFINED SUGAR FREE VEGAN CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 50 g cacao butter you can buy it in bulk food stores, health food stores or online
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/3 cup 75g pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons tahini trust me, it's nothing without it
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or rice malt syrup I find I have to use more rice malt syrup to get the same amount of sweetness, but it is lower FODMAP
- Melt the cacao butter using the double boiler method until it is liquid. Whisk in the cocoa and maple syrup until smooth, and remove from the heat.
- Ensure all the ingredients are cooled before adding them to your blender and blitzing until a smooth ganache forms. Allow to cool and solidify slightly before spreading over cooled baked goods of your choice.