FOR THE LEMON CARBONARA:
250-300g pasta (I used gluten free rice penne)
1 lemon, halved
100g Parmesan, freshly and finely grated
Sea salt and cracked pepper, to serve (these don’t count as part of the ‘5 ingredients clickbait attempt, right?)
METHOD (Serves 2-4 people, depending on hunger/appetite/time of day/everything)
1. Fill a medium saucepan with water, and add the juice and zest of half your lemon. Bring the water to the boil.
2. Once the water is boiling, add your pasta, and stir intermittently to make sure they don’t all clump together. Put the timer on for six minutes.
3. Juice and zest the other half of your lemon, and set aside. Finely grate the Parmesan, and get your capers and egg ready to throw into the saucepan.
4. Once the timer goes off, scoop a cup of the pasta water out and set it aside. You will need it put back in the pan.
5. Drain the pasta once cooked, and return immediately to the saucepan it came from, but do not place back on the heat. Add 1/4-1/2 cup pasta water (1/2 for a runnier sauce) along with the lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir quickly to combine, and then add the egg, the Parmesan, and a sprinkle of sea salt. Continue stirring quickly until everything is combined. Finally, add the capers and some pepper, divide between two bowls, and go for it. Sprinkle with a bit of extra lemon zest if you’re feelin’ super fancy.