I’d love to say that my favourite part of Vietnam was the people or the landscape or the culture. What I will say instead is that my favourite part of Vietnam was eating pho every morning. Honesty is the best policy, etc. Vegan Vietnamese is the second best policy.
On the honesty note, I’d love to say that I created this recipe after being inspired by the beautiful country that is Vietnam. I actually just felt like some salt and pepper tofu. I’ve shared a recipe for a fennel and satay version before, but I was in the mood for a super simple, light and fresh variety. So I created a vegan Vietnamese style variety, and I made myself sound way more cultural and interesting than I am. A win win.
Before you curse my name for including mango in this recipe: hold up. Mango, in servings of 1/5 of a cup or less, is considered FODMAP friendly, namely fructose friendly. You can omit it if you’d prefer, but I personally found it really exciting to eat some mango, however small an amount. A level of excitement I never deemed imaginable from something as basic as eating fruit. I’m sure you fructose malabsorbers can relate.
VEGAN VIETNAMESE SALT AND PEPPER TOFU SALAD – serves 2-4, depending how hungry you are
FOR THE SAUCE:
- Kaffir lime zest, to taste (optional but delicious)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Tamari
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon tamarind paste (optional)
- Pinch of sea salt flakes
- Chilli flakes or fresh chilli, to taste
FOR THE SALAD:
- 2 large bunches Asian salad greens of choice
- 1 bunch of Vietnamese mint
- 1 bunch of Thai basil (or regular mint)
- One quantity of salt and pepper tofu (click through for the recipe)
- Red chilli, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup toasted peanuts, chopped (optional but not really)
- 1/2 – 1 mango, finely slice (optional but remember the above re: fructose)
- 1-2 Lebanese cucumbers, mandolined or finely sliced
- Prepare the tofu as per the instructions FOUND HERE.
- To make the dressing, simply whisk all the ingredients together and adjust for kaffir and sugar as you see fit.
- To assemble the salad, mix everything together in a large salad bowl, tossing well to coat all the ingredients in the dressing. Serve while the tofu is warm.